Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday, March 12, 2005

My Weekend as a Single Soccer Mom

I never got a chance to write about my weekend as a single mom two weeks ago. From Wednesday evening until Sunday evening, I was responsible for 5 kids - 1st grade, 3rd grade, 5th grade, 6th grade and 8th grade. Three boys and two girls. It was 6:15 mornings and 11:00 - 12:00 nights. I'm used to the late nights - but certainly 6:15 mornings. God certainly taught me a lot that weekend - first, just how much moms really do and second, that I could never have a full-time job and try to even do laundry for all of those kids!

We had a blast though. Well, I did. I'm not sure if the kids liked me or not. I was mainly a chauffeur - driving from golf lessons to soccer practice to basketball practice. You really have to plan who eats when and what, how far ahead you need to get them up in the morning. It was crazy.

I have a new appreciation for single moms as well. My mom has worked full-time since Kevin and I were one year old. I simply could not imagine doing this on my own. Even just to have a normal sane person to talk to at the end of the day was therapy for me. I know that my mom has sacrificed much so that my family could have so much more. I am very grateful for her bravery and strength to be able to endure such a hardship.

Saturday night, I had the four younger ones and we went to Panda Express for dinner. It was great because every single one of us craved Chinese food that night and wanted to watch the Back to the Future trilogy (a must for all human beings to experience). As we were sitting around the tiny table that at PE, after all of the frustrations of that day and tempers that were rising, there were a few simple, enjoyable moments of conversation and laughter between the five of us. My heart jumped with excitement to be able to one day sit with my own kids and have such a time. How great it will be.

After an exhausting weekend, I woke up late Monday morning with a cold. But getting a cold was certainly worth my time at Panda Express.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home